BE A PART OF THE ELECTION DAY PROCESS
What are Election Workers?
- Election Workers are the over 400 men and women who work during early voting and at the polling places on Election Day. They are a critical part of the election process to ensure the conduct of elections is accurate and fair.
What are the Qualifications to be an Election Worker?
- You must be a registered voter in St. Lucie County.
- You must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- You must attend all required training classes prior to each election.
- You must be able to work from 6:00 a.m. to approximately 8:00 p.m.
- You must have transportation to attend training classes and to work the election.
- You must meet the physical requirements (standing, bending, stooping, and ability to lift 15 to 20 lbs).
- You cannot serve as an Election Worker if you are a candidate or an immediate family member of a candidate.
What are the Election Worker Positions?
- Clerk is in charge of the overall management of the tasks, activities and Election Workers during Early Voting and at the Precinct on Election Day.
- Clerks are required to pick up election supplies and return these supplies to the elections office after the polls have closed.
- Assistant Clerk assists the Clerk with processing provisional and spoiled ballots and must be able to replace the clerk in case of an emergency.
- Assistant Clerk II assists the Clerk, and must be able to replace the clerk in case of an emergency and will assist Inspector with opening and closing the polls on the ImageCast Evolution (ICE) tabulation units.
- The Inspector verifies voter’s information with an electronic poll book (EViD), issues voting passes and ballots and man the ICE units.
- The Deputy maintains order, directs and assists voters entering and leaving the polling place.
What are the Training Requirements?
- Florida Statute requires that all poll workers attend mandatory training for each election cycle. The class duration is usually 3 to 8 hours depending on the position.
- Complete an election worker application.